Brody Memorial Lectures
Establishment of Brody Memorial Lectureship
A committee was appointed by Dean Longwell to consider the possibility of creating a memorial for Samuel Brody. It was the opinion of the committee that a permanent lectureship would be most suitable if sufficient funds were obtained from friends, relatives, organizations, and the University Faculty invited to contribute to this memorial.
Friends, relatives and organizations interested in recognizing Dr. Brody provided the initial funds, which were supplemented by a generous grant from the King Ranch and matching funds from the Alumni Achievement Funds.
The Board of Curators approved the establishment of the Samuel Brody Lectureship Fund in April, 1959. Lectures have been held as often as sufficient income from the interest provided expenses and a small honorarium for a distinguished lecturer.
The present Brody Memorial Lectureship Committee was appointed by Dean Roger Mitchell.
Dr. Donald E. Spiers, Committee Chairperson
Dr. James Spain, Sigma Xi Representative
Dr. Matt Lucy, Gamma Sigma Delta Representative
Previous Brody Lectures
• Max Kleiber, Department of Animal Science, University of California, Berkeley, 1960
• Knut Schmidt-Nielsen, Department of Zoology, Duke University, 1961
• F. W. Went, Director, Missouri. Botanical Garden, 1963
• K. L Blaxter, Department of Nutrition, Hannah Dairy Research Institute, 1964
• C. Ladd Prosser, Department of Physiology, University of Illinois, 1965
• H. T. Hammel, Physiol. Group, John B. Pierce Foundation Lab. 1966
• H. N. Munro, Department of Physiological Chemistry, Mass. Institute Tech., 1967
• James D. Hardy, Department of Physiology, Yale University, 1968
• Loren D. Carlson, Department of Physiology, University of California - Davis, 1969
• R. L. Baldwin, Department of Animal Science, University of California - Davis, 1971
• John R. Brobeck, Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, 1972
• Bruce A. Young, Department of Animal Science, University of Alberta, 1974
• D. E. Johnson, Department of Animal Science, Colorado State University, 1975
• Albert L. Lehniger, Department of Physiological Chemistry, The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, 1976
• Henry A. Lardy, Department of Biological Science, University of Wisconsin - Madison, 1979
• H. Allen Tucker, Department of Dairy Science and Dept. Physiology, Michigan State University, 1981
• H. Russell Conrad, Department of Dairy Science, The Ohio State University, 1982
• David Robertshaw, Department of Physiol./Biophysics, Colorado State University, 1984
• Allen Munck, Department of Physiology, Darmouth Medical School, 1986
• Lawrence J. Machlin, Dir. Clinical Nutrition, Vitamins and Fine Chemicals Division, Hoffman-La Roche Inc., 1988
• Keith W. Kelly, Department of Animal Science, University of Illinois, 1992
• Clifton A. Baile, Head Animal Science/Molecular Biology Division, Monsanto Agricultural Company, 1993
• David Wolfenson, Department of Animal Science, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 1999
• Jean Noblet, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, 2000
• Michal Horowitz, Environmental Physiology, The Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical Center, Jerusalem, 2005
Bioenergetics and Growth Book• Table of Contents and Index .pdf
• Chapters 1-6 .pdf
• Chapters 7-10 .pdf
• Chapters 11-13 .pdf
• Chapters 14-16 .pdf
• Chapters 17-20 .pdf
• Chapters 21-25 .pdf
Brody Lectures at the 16th International Congress on Biometeorology, 2002
• Slivia E. Valtorta, Conicet, Esperanza, Santa Fe, Argentiz, Animal production in a changing climate: Impacts and mitigation.
• G. LeRoy Hahn, USDA/ARS, Clay Center NE, Living with climatic variability and potential global change: Climatological analyses of impacts on livestock performance.
• Matt C. Lucy, University of Missouri - Columbia, Reproductive loss in farm animals during heat stress.
• Robert J. Collier, University of Arizona, The use of genomics in genetic selection programs for environmental stress tolerance in domestic animals.