128 citations – International Review of Cytology 2000, 195:1-65 (review)
113 citations – Biology of Reproduction 2005, 72:2-13 (review)
101 citations - Biology of Reproduction 2003, 69:254-260 (research article)
Total citations on Scopus - March 2016: 4,778 citations of 149 cited documents Other papers cited 50+ times: 13 Other papers cited 20-50 times: 33
165. Yin Y, Liu L, Lin C, Veith GM, Wang C, Sutovsky P, Zhou P, Ma L (2016) Cullin-Family Ubiquitin Ligase CUL4B is Required for Mouse Spermatogenesis. J. Bol. Chem., In press
164. Song W, Sutovsky P (2016) Of Mitochondrial Eve and Steve. Mol. Reprod. Dev., doi: 10.1002/mrd.22609
163. Oko R., Aarabi M., Mao J, Balakier H, Sutovsky P (2016) Sperm specific WW-domain binding proteins. In: The Sperm Cell: Production, Maturation, Fertilization, Regeneration. Second Edition, DeJonge C, Barrat C, Eds., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, In Press.
162.Sutovsky P, Cupp AS, Thompson WE, Baker M (2016) Reproductive systems biology tackles global issues. Cell Tissue Res., 363(1):1-5
161. Hennings JM, Zimmer RL, Nabli H, Davis JW, Sutovsky P, Sutovsky M, Sharpe-Timms KL (2015) Improved murine blastocyst quality and development in a single culture medium compared to sequential culture media. Reproductive Sciences, pii: 1933719115618281
160. Nevoral J, Sutovsky P, Zamostna K, Petelak A, Hoskova K, Zalmanova T, Prokesova S, Jelinkova P, Marynikova V, Petr J (2015) SIRT1 as a key factor for histone code establishment in early embryo, from a perspective of assisted reproduction. Slovak J. Anim. Sci. 48:145-158.
159. Lin Y, Xu C, Sutovsky P, Wu D, Che L-Q, Fang Z-F, Xu S-Y, Ren B, Dong H-J (2015)
Impact of intrauterine growth restriction on long-term fertility in male pig model. Reprod. Fert. Dev., doi: 10.1071/RD15130
158.Sutovsky P (2015) New approaches to boar semen evaluation, processing and improvement. Reprod. Dom. Anim. 50 Suppl. 2:11-19.
157. Nevoral J. Sutovsky P, (2015) Involvement of epigenetic changes and ubiquitin-dependent proteolysis in the pronuclear development of mammalian zygote. In: Animal Models and Human Reproduction., Schatten H, Editor, John Wiley & Sons, In press.
156. Dogan S, Vargovic P, Oliveira R, Belser RE, Kaya A, Moura A, Sutovsky P, Parrish J, Topper E, Memili E (2015) Sperm protamine status correlates to the fertility of breeding bulls. Biol. Reprod, 92(4): 1-9.
155. Ahlering P, Sutovsky P, (2015) Biomarker-based flow-cytometric semen analysis for male infertility diagnostics and clinical decision making in ART. In: Screening for the Single Euploid Embryo - Molecular Genetics in Reproductive Medicine, Eric Scott Sills, Editor, Springer Science+Media LLC, p. 33-51.
154.Sutovsky P, Aarabi M, Miranda-Vizuete A, Oko R (2015) Negative biomarker based male fertility evaluation: Sperm phenotypes associated with molecular-level anomalies. Asian J. Androl. 17, 554-60.
153. Aarabi M, Sutovsky P, Oko R (2015) Re: Is PAWP the ‘real’ sperm factor? Asian J. Androl. 17, 4-6. Invited Research Highlight – Male Fertility
152. Odhiambo JF, DeJarnette JM, Geary TW, Kennedy CE, Suarez SS, Sutovsky M, Sutovsky P (2014). Increased Conception Rates in Beef Cattle Inseminated with Nanopurified Bull Semen. Biol. Reprod., Sep 17. pii: biolreprod.114.121897. [Epub ahead of print]
151. Ahlering P, Sutovsky P, (2014) Biomarker-based flow-cytometric semen analysis for male infertility diagnostics and clinical decision making in ART. In: Screening for the Single Euploid Embryo - Molecular Genetics in Reproductive Medicine, Eric Scott Sills, Editor, Springer Science+Media LLC, In press.
150. Aarabi M, Balakier H, Bashar S, Moskovtsev SI, Sutovsky P, Librach CL, Oko R. (2014) Sperm-derived WW domain-binding protein, PAWP, elicits calcium oscillations and oocyte activation in human and mouse. FASEB J., In press, PMID: 24970390.
149. Petruska P, Capcarova M, Sutovsky P (2014) Antioxidant supplementation and purification of semen for improved artificial insemination in livestock species. Turkish J Vet Anim Sci, Special Issue on Recent Advances in Animal Reproduction, Keith Inskeep & Robert Dailey Editors, In press.
148. Aarabi M, Balakier H, Bashar S, Moskovtsev SI, Sutovsky P, Librach CL, Oko R (2014) Sperm content of PAWP protein is related to assisted fertilization outcomes in patients undergoing ART. Fertil. Steril., In press.
147. Yi Y-J, Sutovsky M, Song W-H, Sutovsky P (2014) Protein deubiquitination during oocyte maturation influences sperm function during fertilization, anti-polyspermy defense and embryo development. Reprod. Fert. Dev., In press.
146. Song W-H, Sutovsky P (2014) Regulation of mitochondrial inheritance by autophagy and ubiquitin-proteasome system: Implications for health, fitness and fertility. BioMed Research International, Special Issue on New Advances in Reproductive Biomedicine In press.
145. Mtango NR, Latham KE, Sutovsky, P. (2014) Deubiquitinating enzymes in oocyte maturation, fertilization and preimplantation embryo development. In: Sutovsky, P., Editor, Posttranslational Modifications in the Reproductive System, Springer Science +Business Media LLC, In press,
144. Kennedy CE, Krieger KB3, Sutovsky M, Xu W, Vargovič P, Didion BA, Ellersieck MR, Hennessy ME, Verstegen J, Oko R, Sutovsky P (2014) Protein expression pattern of PAWP in bull spermatozoa is associated with sperm quality and fertility following artificial insemination. Mol Reprod. Dev., 81(4): 436-49
143. Zimmerman S, Yi Y-J, Sutovsky M, van Leeuwen F, Conant G, Sutovsky P (2014) Identification and characterization of RING-finger ubiquitin ligase UBR7 in mammalian spermatozoa. Cell Tissue Res. 356:261-278.
142. Miles EL, Sutovsky P (2014) Sperm proteasome as a putative egg coat lysin in mammals. In: Sexual Reproduction in Animals and Plants, Hitoshi Sawada, Naokazu Inoue, and Megumi Iwano, Editors. Springer Science+Business Media LLC, pp. 441-463.
141. Baran V, Solc P, Kovarikova V, Rehak P, and Sutovsky P (2013) Polo-like kinase 1 is essential for the first mitotic division of mouse embryo. Mol. Reprod. Dev., 80:522-534.
140. Wolff JN, Sutovsky P, Ballard JWO (2013). Mitochondrial DNA content of mature spermatozoa and oocytes in the genetic model Drosophila. Cell Tissue Res., 353:195-200.
139. Miles EL, O’Gorman C, Zhao J, Samuel M, Walters E, Yi Y-J, Sutovsky M, Prather RS, Wells KD, Sutovsky P (2013) Transgenic pig carrying green fluorescent proteasomes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 110(16):6334-6339.
138. Buckman CL, Ozanon C, Qiu J, Sutovsky M, Carafa JA, Rawe VY, Manandhar G, Miranda-Vizuete A, Sutovsky P (2013) Semen levels of spermatid-specific thioredoxin-3 correlate with pregnancy rates in ART couples. PLoS ONE, e61000. doi: 10.1371.
137.Sutovsky P, Kennedy C. E. (2013) Biomarker-based nanotechnology for the improvement of reproductive performance in beef and dairy cattle. Indust. Biotech. 9: 24-30.
136. Wolff JN, Nafisinia M, Sutovsky P, Ballard JWO (2013) Paternal transmission of mitochondrial DNA as an integral part of mitochondrial inheritance in metapopulations of Drosophila simulans. Heredity 110:57-62.
135.Sutovsky P (2012) The Real Pac-Man. Mol. Reprod. Dev., 79: 741
134. Sutovsky P (2012) Cell biology solves mysteries of reproduction. Cell & Tissue Res., 349: 631-633.
133. Yi, Y-J, Kennedy, C., Sutovsky, M., Sutovsky P. (2012) Identification of the inorganic pyrophosphate metabolizing, ATP substituting pathway in mammalian spermatozoa. PLoS ONE, 7(4):e34524.
132. Aarabi, M., Yu, Y., Xu, W., Man, Y., Tse, M.Y., Pang, S.C., Yi, Y-J., Sutovsky P., Oko, R. (2012)The Testicular and epididymal expression profile of PLCζ in mouse and human does not support its role as a sperm-borne oocyte activating factor. PLoS ONE, 7(3):e33496.
131. Mtango, N., Sutovsky, M., VandeVoort, C. A., Latham, K.E., Sutovsky P. (2012) Essential role of ubiquitin C-terminal hydrolases UCHL1 and UCHL3 in mammalian oocyte maturation. J. Cell. Physiol. 227: 2022-2029.
130. Mtango, N., Sutovsky, M., Susor, A., Zhong, Z., Latham, K.E., Sutovsky P. (2012) Essential role of maternal UCHL1 and UCHL3 in fertilization and preimplantation embryo development. J. Cell. Physiol. 227: 1592-1603
129. Yi Y-J, Zimmerman SW, Manandhar G, Odhiambo JF, Kennedy C, Jonakova V, Manaskova-Postlerova P, Sutovsky M, Park C-S, Sutovsky P. (2012) Ubiquitin activating enzyme UBA1 is required for sperm capacitation, acrosomal exocytosis and sperm-egg coat penetration during porcine fertilization. Int. J. Androl., 35: 196-210.
128. Nagyova E, Scsukova S, Nemcova L, Mlynarcikova A., Yi Y-J, Sutovsky M, Sutovsky P (2012). Inhibition of proteasomal proteolysis affects expression of extracellular matrix components and steroidogenesis in porcine oocyte-cumulus complexes. Dom. Anim. Endocrin., 42(1):50-62.
127. Yi Y-J, Sung D Y, Millette C, Sutovsky M, Kennedy C, Sutovsky P, Thompson W, Thomas K (2011) Sperm GIRK2-containing K+ inward rectifying channels participate in sperm capacitation and fertilization. Systems Biol. Reprod. Med., 57(6):296-308.
126.Sutovsky P (2011) Sperm proteasome and fertilization. Reproduction, 142:1-14
125. Odhiambo JF, Sutovsky M, DeJarnette JM, Marshall C, Sutovsky P (2011) Technical note: Adaptation of ubiquitin-PNA based sperm quality assay for semen evaluation by a conventional flow cytometer and a dedicated platform for flow cytometric semen analysis. Theriogenology, 76 : 1168–1176
124. Zimmerman S.W., Manandhar G., Yi Y-J, Gupta S. K., Sutovsky M., Odhiambo J.F. , Powell M. D., Miller, D.J., Sutovsky P. (2011) Sperm proteasomes degrade sperm receptor on the egg zona pellucida during mammalian fertilization. PLoS ONE, 6(2):e17256
123.Sutovsky P, Oko R (2011) Spermatozoa: The good, the bad and the ugly. Mol. Reprod. Dev., 78(2):67
122. Yi Y-J, Zimmerman SZ, Sutovsky P (2011) Gamete binding and fusion. In: Cell Fusion: Regulation and Control. Lars-Inge Larsson, Editor, Springer Science + Business Media, LLC, New York, NY; p. 185-201
121. Kennedy, C., Ahlering, P., Rodriguez H., Levy S., Sutovsky P. (2011) Sperm chromatin structure correlates with spontaneous abortion and multiple pregnancy rates in ART couples. Reprod. Biomed. Online., 22:271-276
120. Yi Y-J, Sutovsky P (2010) Gamete binding and fusion. In: Oocyte Maturation and Fertilization: A Long History for a Short Event (with foreword by Ryuzo Yanagimachi). Elisabetta Tosti, Raffaele Boni, Editors. Bentham Science Publishers Ltd., p.93-103
119. Whitworth KM, Spate LD, Li R, Rieke A, Sutovsky P, Green JA, Prather RS (2010) Activation method does not alter abnormal placental gene expression and development in cloned pigs.. Mol. Reprod. Dev., 77(12):1016-30
118.Sutovsky P, Lovercamp KL (2010) Molecular markers of sperm quality. In: Reproduction in Domestic Ruminants VII. Nottingham University Press, p. 247-256
117.Sutovsky P (2010) Establishing new paradigms while reexamining the old ones. Systems Biol. Reprod. Med., 56(5):331-3
116. Clark GF, Zimmerman S, Lafrenz DE, Young-Joo Yi Y-J, Sutovsky P (2010) Carbohydrate mediated binding and induction of acrosomal exocytosis in a sperm-somatic cell adhesion model. Biol. Reprod., 83(4):623-34
115. Yi, Y-J, Manandhar G, Sutovsky M, Zimmerman S, Jonáková V, van Leeuwen F, Oko R, Park C-S, Sutovsky P (2010) Interference with the 19S proteasomal regulatory complex subunit PSMD4 on the sperm surface inhibits sperm-zona pellucida penetration during porcine fertilization. Cell & Tissue Res., 341(2):325-40.
114. Moore K, Lovercamp K, Feng D, Antelman J, Sutovsky M, Manandhar G, van Leyen K, Safranski T, Sutovsky P (2010) Altered epididymal sperm maturation and cytoplasmic droplet migration in the subfertile, male Alox15 mice. Cell & Tissue Res., 340(3):569-81.
113. Stilley JAW, Birt J.A., Nagel S.C., Sutovsky M., Sutovsky P., Sharpe-Timms K.L. (2010) Neutralizing TIMP1 restores fecundity in a rat model of endometriosis and treating control rats with TIMP1 causes anomalies in ovarian function and embryo development. Biol. Reprod., 83(2):185-94.
112. Susor A, Liskova L, Toralova T, Pavlok A, Pivonkova K, Karabinova P, Lopatarova M, Sutovsky P and Kubelka M (2010) Role of ubiquitin carboxyl-terminal hydrolase-L1 in anti-polyspermy defense of mammalian oocytes. Biol. Reprod., In press 111. Yi Y-J, Manandhar G, Sutovsky ., Jonáková V, Park C-S, and Sutovsky P (2010) Inhibition of 19S proteasomal regulatory complex subunit PSMD8 increases polyspermy during porcine fertilization in vitro. J. Reprod. Immunol.,In press 110. Powell MD, Manandhar G, Spate L, Sutovsky M, Zimmerman S, Sachdev S, Hannink M, Prather RS, and Sutovsky P (2010) Discovery of Putative Oocyte Quality Markers by Comparative ExacTag Proteomics. Proteomics-Clinical Applications, In Press
109. Settivari RS, Evans TJ, Yarru LP, Eichen PA, Sutovsky P, Rottinghaus GE, Antoniou E, Spiers DE (2009) Effects of short-term heat stress on endophytic ergot alkaloid-induced alterations in rat hepatic gene expression. J. Anim. Sci.,87(10):3142-55 108. Buckman C, George TC, Friend S, Sutovsky M, Miranda-Vizuete A, Ozanon C, Morrissey P, Sutovsky P (2009) High throughput, parallel imaging and biomarker quantification of human spermatozoa by ImageStream flow cytometry. Systems Biol. Reprod. Med., 55(5-6):244-51 107. Sutovsky P (2009) Proteomic analysis of mammalian gametes and sperm-oocyte interactions. Soc. Reprod. Fert. Suppl. 66:103-16 106. Zimmerman S, Sutovsky P (2009) Recent progress in the study of the sperm proteasome during sperm capacitation and fertilization.J Reprod. Immunol., 83(1-2):19-25 105. Oko R, Sutovsky P (2009) Biogenesis of sperm perinuclear theca and its role in sperm functional competence and fertilization. J Reprod. Immunol., 83(1-2):2-7 104. Sutovsky P (2009) New insights into sperm-egg fusion in mammals. Exp. Rev. Molec. Med., 11:e11 103. Manandhar G, Miranda-Vizuete A, Pedrajas JR, Krause WJ, Zimmerman S, Sutovsky M, Sutovsky P. (2009) Peroxiredoxin-2 and Peroxidase Enzymatic Activity of Mammalian Spermatozoa. Biol.Reprod.80(6): 1168-77 102. Yi Y-J, Park C-S, Kim E-S; Song E-S, Jeong J-H, Sutovsky P (2009). Sperm-surface ATP in boar spermatozoa is required for fertilization: Relevance to sperm proteasomal function.Systems Biol. Reprod. Med., 55(2):85-96 101. Hao Y, Wax D, Zhong Z, Murphy C, Ross JW, Samuel M, Spate L, Dyce P, Li J, Sutovsky P, Prather RS (2009). The potential of the porcine skin-derived stem cells as donor cells for nuclear transfer. Cloning & Stem Cells, 11:101-109. 100. Whitworth KM, Li R, Spate LD, Wax DM, Rieke A, Whyte JJ, Manandhar G, Sutovsky M, Green JA, Sutovsky P, Prather RS. (2009) Method of oocyte activation affects cloning efficiency in pigs. Mol. Reprod. Dev.,76:490-500. 99. Stilley, J. A. W., Woods-Marshall, R., Sutovsky, M., Sutovsky, P., Sharpe-Timms, K. L. (2009) Reduced fecundity in rats with surgically-induced endometriosis and their daughters: a role for tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinase-1. Biol. Reprod., 80:649-656 98. Sedó CA, Oko R, Sutovsky P, Chemes H, and Rawe VY (2009) Biogenesis of the sperm head perinuclear theca during human spermiogenesis. Fertil. Steril., 92(4):1472-1473. 97. Crimmins S, Sutovsky M, Chung P-C, Huffman A, Wheeler C, Swing D, Roth KA, Wilson JA, Sutovsky P Wilson S (2009) Transgenic rescue of ataxia mice reveals a male-specific sterility defect. Dev. Biol.,325(1):33-42
96. Viator J, Sutovsky P, Weight RM (2008) Detection of dilute sperm samples using photoacoustic flowmetry. Progress in Biomedical Optics and Imaging - Proceedings of SPIE,Vol. 6856, Article number 685607 95. Han Z, Vassena R, Chi MM, Potireddy S, Sutovsky M, Moley KH, Sutovsky P, Latham KE (2008) Role of glucose in cloned mouse embryo development. Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 295(4):E798-809 94. Antelman J, Manandhar G, Yi Y-J, Li R, Whitworth KM, Sutovsky M, Agca C, Prather RS, and Sutovsky P (2008) Expression of mitochondrial transcription factor A (TFAM) during porcine gametogenesis and preimplantation embryo development. J. Cell Physiol., 217:529-543 93.Sutovsky P (2008) Fertilization. In: Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility: The Practical Clinic and Laboratory. Douglas Carrell and Matthew Peterson, Editors. The Humana Press, Totowa, NJ; In press. 92. Baska KM,Manandhar G, Feng D, Agca Y, Tengowski MW, Sutovsky M, Yi Y-J, and Sutovsky P (2008). Mechanism of extracellular ubiquitination in the mammalian epididymis. J. Cell Physiol. 215:684-696. 91. Chakravarty S, Bansal P, Sutovsky P, and Gupta SK (2008). Role of proteasomal activity in the induction of acrosomal exocytosis by recombinant zona pellucida glycoproteins in human spermatozoa. Reprod. Biomed Online,16(3):391-400. 90. Rawe VY, Díaz ES, Abdelmassih R, Wójcik C, Morales P, Sutovsky P, and Chemes HE (2008) The role of sperm proteasomes during sperm aster formation and early zygote development: Implications for fertilization failure in humans. Human Reprod., 23(3):573-580. 89. Yi Y-J, Nagyova E, Manandhar G, Prochazka R, Sutovsky M, Park C-S, Sutovsky P (2008) Proteolytic activity of the 26S proteasome is required for the meiotic resumption, germinal vesicle breakdown, and cumulus expansion of porcine cumulus-oocyte complexes matured in vitro. Biol. Reprod., 78(1):115-126.
88. Pang P-C, Tissot B, Drobnis E, Sutovsky P, Morris HR, Sharpe-Timms K, Clark GF, and Dell A. (2007) Expression of bisecting type N-glycans and ligands for DC-SIGN on human sperm. J. Biol. Chem., 282(50):36593-36602. 87. Wu AC, Ph.D.; Sutovsky P,Xu W, van der Spoel AC, Platt FM, Oko RJ (2007) The postacrosomal assembly of sperm head protein, PAWP, is independent of acrosome formation and dependent on microtubular manchette transport. Dev. Biol., 312(2):471-483. 86. Yi Y-J, Manandhar G, Sutovsky M, Li R, Jonakova V, Oko R, Park C-S, Prather RS, Sutovsky P (2007) Ubiquitin C-terminal hydrolase-activity is involved in sperm acrosomal function and anti-polyspermy defense. Biol. Reprod. 77, 780-793. 85. Lovercamp K.W., Safranski T.J., Fischer K.A., Manandhar G., Sutovsky M., Herring W., and Sutovsky P. (2007) High resolution light microscopic evaluation of boar semen quality and sperm cytoplasmic droplet retention in relationship with boar fertility. Arch. Androl: 53(4):219-28. 84. Wu ATH,* Sutovsky P,* Manandhar G, Xu W, Katayama M, Day BN, Park KW, Yi Y-J, Xi Y-W, Prather RS, and Oko R (2007) PAWP, a sperm specific WW-domain binding protein, promotes meiotic resumption and pronuclear development during fertilization. J. Biol. Chem., 282(16):12164-75. *PS and ATH Wu are listed as First Co-authors. Selected JBC Paper of the Week (top 1% of accepted papers). 83. Katayama M, Rieke A, Cantley T, Murphy C, Dowell L, Sutovsky P, Day BN (2007) Improved fertilization and embryo development resulting in birth of live piglets after intracytoplasmic sperm injection and in vitro culture in cysteine supplemented medium. Theriogenology, 67(4):835-47. 82. Tengowski MW, Feng D, Sutovsky M, Sutovsky P (2007) Differential expression of genes encoding constitutive and inducible 20S proteasomal core subunits in the testis and epididymis of theophylline- or 1,3-dinitrobenzene-exposed rats. Biol. Reprod. , 76(1):149-163. 81.Sutovsky P, Plummer W, Baska K, Peterman K, Diehl JR, Sutovsky M (2007) Relative levels of semen platelet activating factor-receptor (PAFr) and ubiquitin in yearling bulls with high content of semen white blood cells: Implications for breeding soundness evaluation. J. Androl., 28(1):92-108. 80. Yi Y-J, Manandhar G, Oko RJ, Breed WG, and Sutovsky P. (2007) Mechanism of sperm-zona pellucida penetration during mammalian fertilization: 26S proteasome as a candidate egg coat lysin. Soc Reprod Fertil Suppl. 63:385-408.
79. Lovercamp KW, Safranski TJ, Fischer KA, Manandhar G, Sutovsky M, Herring W, Sutovsky P (2006) Arachidonate 15-lipoxygenase and ubiquitin as fertility markers in boars. Theriogenology, 67(4):704-18. 78. Katayama, M., Zhong, Z., Lai, L., Sutovsky, P., Prather, R.S., Schatten, H. (2006). Mitochondrial distribution and microtubule organization in fertilized and cloned porcine embryos: Implications for developmental potential. Dev. Biol., 299(1):206-20. 77. Manandhar G, Feng D, Yi Y-J, Lai L, Letko J, Laurincik J, Sutovsky M, Salisbury JL, Prather RS, Schatten H & Sutovsky P (2006) Centrosomal protein centrin is not detectable during early pre-implantation development but reappears during late blastocyst stage in porcine embryos. Reproduction, 132(3):423-34. 76. Yu Y., Xu W., Yi Y-J, Sutovsky P., Oko R. (2006) The extracellular protein coat of the inner acrosomal membrane is involved in zona pellucida binding and penetration during fertilization: Characterization of its most prominent polypeptide (IAM38). Dev. Biol., 290:32-43. 75. Hao, Y., L. Lai, G.-S. Im, Z. Liu, D. Wax, M. Samuel, C.N. Murphy, P. Sutovsky, R.S. Prather. (2006). Developmental competence of porcine parthenogenetic embryos relative to embryonic chromosomal abnormalities. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 73:77-82.
74. Katayama M, Sutovsky P, Yang BS, Cantley T, Rieke A, Farwell R, Oko R & Day BN (2005) Increased disruption of sperm plasma membrane at sperm immobilization promotes dissociation of perinuclear theca from sperm chromatin after intracytoplasmic sperm injection in pigs. Reproduction, 130: 907-916. 73. Fischer KA, Van Leyen K, Lovercamp KW, Manandhar G, Sutovsky M, Feng D, Safranski T & Sutovsky P (2005) 15-Lipoxygenase (15-LOX) is a component of sperm cytoplasmic droplet. Reproduction, 130:213-222. 72.Sutovsky P, Manandhar G (2006) Mammalian Spermatogenesis and Sperm Structure: Anatomical and Compartmental Analysis. In: The Sperm Cell: Production, Maturation, Fertilization, Regeneration.DeJonge C, Barrat C, Eds., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1-30. 71. Ozanon C, Chouteau J, and Sutovsky P (2005) Clinical adaptation of the ubiquitin based sperm quality assay (SUTI): Relationship of sperm ubiquitination with sperm quality in gradient-purified semen samples from 93 men from a general infertility clinic population. Human Reprod., 20(8):2271-2278. 70. Manandhar G, Sutovsky P (2007). Comparative Histology and Subcellular Structure of Mammalian Spermatogenesis and Spermatozoa. In: Comparative Reproductive Biology. Schatten H, Ed., Iowa State Press, A Blackwell Publishing Company. p. 81-98. 69. Sutovsky P, Manandhar G, Laurincik J, Letko J, Caamano JN, Day BN, Lai L, Prather RS, Sharpe-Timms KL, Zimmer R, and Sutovsky M. (2005) Expression and proteasomal degradation of the major vault protein (MVP) in mammalian oocytes and zygotes.Reproduction129:269-279. 68. Manandhar D, Schatten H, Sutovsky P (2005).Centrosome reduction during gametogenesis and its significance. Biol Reprod. 72: 2-13. 67. Baska KM Sutovsky P, (2005) Protein modification by ubiquitination and is consequences for spermatogenesis, sperm maturation, fertilization and pre-implantation embryonic development. In: New impact on protein modifications in the regulation of reproductive system. Tokumoto, T, Ed., Research Signpost, Kerala; 83-114. 66. Tengowski M.W., Sutovsky P., Hedlund L.W., Guyot D.J., Burkhardt J.E., Thompson W. E., Sutovsky M., and Johnson G.A. (2005). Reproductive cytotoxicity is predicted by magnetic resonance microscopy and confirmed by ubiquitin-proteasome immunohistochemistry in a theophylline-induced model of rat testicular and epididymal toxicity. Microsc. & Microanalysis., 11:1-13.
65. Prather RS, Sutovsky P and Green JA. (2004)Nuclear remodeling and reprogramming in transgenic pig production. Exp. Biol. Med., 229: 1120-1126. 64. Sutovsky, P., Manandhar G., McCauley, T.C., Caamaño JN, Sutovsky, M., Thompson WE, and Day, B.N. (2004). Proteasomal interference prevents zona pellucida penetration and fertilization in mammals: Biol Reprod., 71, 1625–1637 63. Jiménez A, Zu W, Rawe VY, Pelto-Huikko M, Flickinger CJ, Sutovsky P, Gustafsson J-A, Oko R and Antonio Miranda-Vizuete A. (2004) Spermatocyte/spermatid-specific thioredoxin-3, a novel Golgi apparatus-associated thioredoxin, is a specific marker of aberrant spermatogenesis. J. Biol. Chem. 279(33):34971-34982. 62. Tovich PR, Sutovsky P and Oko RJ (2004) Novel aspect of perinuclear theca assembly revealed by immunolocalization of non-nuclear somatic histones during bovine spermiogenesis. Biol. Reprod., 71(4):1182-94. 61. Thompson WE, Asselin E, Branch A, K. Stiles JK, Sutovsky P, Lai L, Im G-S, Prather RS, Isom SC, Rucker III E and Tsang BK (2004) Regulation of prohibitin expression during follicular development and atresia in the mammalian ovary. Biol. Reprod., 71(1):282-290. 60.Sutovsky P, Prather RS (2004) Nuclear remodeling after SCNT: A contractor’s nightmare. Trends Biotech., 22(5):205-8 59.Sutovsky P, Hauser R, Sutovsky M (2004) Increased levels of sperm ubiquitin correlate with semen quality in men from an andrology laboratory clinic population. Human Reprod. 19:1-11. 578 Miranda-Vizuete A, Sadek CM, Jiménez A, Krause WJ, Sutovsky P and Oko R (2004) The mammalian testis-specific thioredoxin system. Antioxid Redox Signal. 6:25-40 57. Sutovsky P, van Leyen K, McCauley T, Day BN, and Sutovsky M (2004). Degradation of the paternal mitochondria after fertilization: Implications for heteroplasmy, ART and mtDNA inheritance. Reprod. Biomed. Online 8, 24-33.
56. Miranda-Vizuete A, Tsang K, Yu Y, Alberto Jiménez A, Pelto-Huikko M, Flickinger CJ, Sutovsky P, and Oko R (2003). Cloning and developmental analysis of murid spermatid-specific thioredoxin-2 (Sptrx-2), a novel sperm fibrous sheath protein and autoantigen. J Biol Chem., 278:44874-44885. 55. Thompson WE, Ramalho-Santo J, and Sutovsky P (2003). Ubiquitination of prohibitin in mammalian sperm mitochondria: Possible roles in the regulation of mitochondrial inheritance and sperm quality control. Biol. Reprod., 69:254-260 54. Sutovsky, P., Manandhar, G., Wu, A., and Oko, R. (2003)Interactions of the sperm perinuclear theca with the oocyte: Implications for oocyte activation, anti-polyspermy defense and assisted reproduction. Microsc. Res. Tech., 61:362-378. (Invited Article). 53. Sutovsky, P., McCauley, T.C., Sutovsky, M., and Day, B.N. (2003). Early degradation of paternal mitochondria in domestic pig (Sus scrofa) is prevented by selective proteasomal inhibitors lactacystin and MG 132. Biol. Reprod., 68:1793-1800. 52. Sutovsky P. 2003. Ubiquitin-dependent proteolysis in mammalian spermatogenesis, fertilization, and sperm quality control: killing three birds with one stone. Micros. Res. Tech., 61: 88-102 (Invited contribution) 51. Sutovsky P. (2004)Visualization of sperm accessory structures in the mammalian spermatids, spermatozoa and zygotes In : Methods In Molecular Biology, vol 253: Germ Cell Protocols: Vol. 1Sperm and Oocyte Analysis. (Heide Schatten, Editor), Human Press, Totowa, NJ pp. 59-77. 50. Rawe, V.Y. , Brugo Olmedo, S., Nodar, F.N., Ponzio, R., Sutovsky, P. (2003) Abnormal assembly of annulate lamellae and nuclear pore complexes coincides with fertilization arrest at pronuclear stage of human zygotic development. Human Reprod., 18, 576-582. 49. Sutovsky P, Turner RM, Hameed S, Sutovsky M (2003) Differential ubiquitination of stallion sperm proteins: Possible implications for infertility and reproductive seasonality. Biol. Reprod., 68, 688-698
48. Rawe, V.Y., Brugo Olmedo, S., Benmusa, A., Shiigi, S. M., Chemes, H.E., and Sutovsky, P. 2002. Sperm Ubiquitination in Patients with Dysplasia of the Fibrous Sheath. Human Reprod., 17:2119-2127. 47. Sutovsky, P., Neuber, E., and Schatten, G. (2002). Ubiquitin-Dependent, Sperm Quality Control Mechanism Recognizes Spermatozoa with DNA Defects, as Revealed by Dual Ubiquitin-TUNEL Assay. Mol. Reprod. Dev., 61: 406-413.
46.Sutovsky, P., Motlik, J., Neuber, E., Pavlok, A., et al., (2001) Accumulation of the proteolytic marker peptide ubiqutin in the trophoblast of mammalian blastocysts. Cloning & Stem Cells 3, 157-161. 45. Oko R, Aul R, Wu A, Sutovsky P. 2001. The sperm head skeleton. In: Andrology in the 21st century. Robaire B, Chemes H, Morales CR, Editors. Medimond Publishing Co., Englewood NJ,pp.37-51 44. Sutovsky, P., Moreno, R., Ramalho-Santos, J., Dominko, T., Thompson, W. E., and Schatten, G. (2001). A Putative, Ubiquitin-Dependent Mechanism for The Recognition and Elimination of Defective Spermatozoa in the Mammalian Epididymis. J. Cell Sci.114, 1665-1675 43. Sutovsky, P., Terada, Y., and Schatten, G. (2001) Ubiquitin-based sperm assay for the diagnosis of male factor infertility. Human Reprod. , 16, 250-258
42. Sutovsky, P.*, et al., cited as Ramalho-Santos, J.*, Sutovsky, P.*, Simerly, C., Oko, R., Wessel, G., Hewitson, L., and Schatten, G. (2000) ICSI choreography: fate of sperm structures after monospermic rhesus ICSI and first cell cycle implications. Human Reprod. 15, 2610-2620; *P.S>. And J. R.-S. contributed equally to this study and are thus acknowledged as “first co-authors” in the paper. 41. Sutovsky, P., Moreno, R., Ramalho-Santos, J., Dominko, T., Simerly, C., and Schatten, G. (2000) Ubiquitinated sperm mitochondria, selective proteolysis and the regulation of mitochondrial inheritance in mammalian embryos. Biol. Reprod. 63, 582-590 40. Ramalho-Santos J., Moreno, R. D., Sutovsky, P., Chan,A. W.-S., Hewitson, L. C., Wessel, G. M., Simerly, C. R., and Schatten, G. (2000) SNAREs in mammalian sperm: Possible implications for fertilization. Dev. Biol. 223, 54-69. 39. Moreno, R., Ramalho-Santos, J., Sutovsky, P., Chan, E. L. K., and Schatten G (2000) Vesicular traffic and golgi aparatus dynamics during mammalian spermatogenesis: Implications for acrosome architecture. Biol. Reprod., 63, 89-98 38. Terada, Y., Luetjens, C. M., Sutovsky, P., and Schatten, G. (2000) Atypical decondensation of the sperm nucleus, delayed replication of the male genome and sex chromosome positioning following intracytoplasmic human sperm injection into golden hamster eggs: Does ICSI itself introduce chromosomal anomalies?Fertil. Steril., 74(3), 454-460 37. Sutovsky, P., and Schatten, G. (2000) Paternal Contributions to the mammalian zygote: fertilization after sperm-egg fusion. Int. Rev. Cytol. 195, 1-65 (Invited article)
36. Sutovsky, P., Moreno, R., Ramalho-Santos, J., Dominko, T., Simerly, C., and Schatten, G. (1999) Ubiquitin tag for sperm mitochondria.Nature 402, 371-372 35. Simerly, C., Zoran, S. S., Payne, C., Dominko, T., Sutovsky, P., Navara, C. S., Salisbury, J. L., and Schatten, G. (1999) Biparental inheritance of G- tubulin during human fertilization: Molecular reconstitution of functional zygotic centrosomes in inseminated human oocytes and in cell-free extracts nucleated by human sperm. Mol. Biol. Cell 10, 2955-2969 33. Sutovsky, P., Ramalho-Santos, J., Moreno, R. D., Oko, R., Hewitson, L., and Schatten, G. (1999) On-Stage Selection of Single Round Spermatids Using a Vital, Mitochondrion-Specific Fluorescent Probe MitoTrackerTM and High Resolution Differential Interference Contrast (DIC) Microscopy. Human Reprod., 14, 2301-2312 33. Hewitson, L., Simerly, C., Sutovsky, P., Dominko, T., Takahashi, D., and Schatten, G. (1999) The fate of sperm components within the egg during fertilization. In: The Male Gamete: From Basic Science to Clinicla Applications. C. Gagnon, Ed., Cache River Press, Vienna, IL. 32. Hewitson L., Dominko T., Takahashi D., Ramalho-Santos J., Sutovsky P., Fanton J., Jacob D., Monteith D., Neuringer M., Battaglia D., Simerly C., and Schatten., G. (1999) Births of ICSI monkeys: Unique checkpoints during the first cell cycle of fertilization. Nature Med. 5, 431-433 31. Sutovsky, P., Manandhar, G., and Schatten, G. (1999) Biogenesis of the Centrosome During Mammalian Gametogenesis and Fertilization. Protoplasma206, 249-262
30. Sutovsky, P., and Schatten, G. (1998) Structural aspects of mammalian fertilization: New discoveries and Inspirations from the work of Daniel Szöllösi. Reprod. Nutr. Dev.38, 629-641 29. Srsen, V., Kalous, J., Nagyova, E., Sutovsky, P., King, W. A., and Motlik, J. (1998) Effects of follicle-stimulating hormone, bovine somatotrophin and okadaic acid on cumulus expansion and nuclear maturation of Blue fox (Alopex lagopus) oocytes in vitro. Zygote 6, 299-310 28. Hewitson, L., Simerly, C., Sutovsky, P., Dominko,T., and Schatten, G. (1998) Molecular reconstitution and inheritance of the centrosome during fertilization: Implications for fertility. In: Lauria, A., et al. (eds.): Gametes: Development and Function. Serono Symposia, Rome, pp. 371-392 27.Sutovsky, P., Simerly, C, Hewitson, L., and Schatten, G. (1998) Assembly of nuclear pore complexes and annulate lamellae promotes normal pronuclear development in fertilized mammalian oocytes.J. Cell Sci. 111, 2841-2854 26. Manandhar, G., Sutovsky, P., Joshi, H. C., Stearns, T., and Schatten, G. (1998) Centrosome reduction during mouse spermiogenesis. Dev. Biol.203, 424-434 25. Simerly, C., Hewitson, L., Sutovsky, P., Takahashi, D., and Schatten, G. (1998) The role of centrosome and cytoskeleton during human fertilization: Implications for the new frontiers in infertility treatments. In: Treatment of Infertility: The New Frontiers. Communication Media for education 24. Schatten, G., Hewitson, L., Simerly, C., Sutovsky, P., and Huszar, G. (1998) Cell and molecular biological challenges of ICSI: A.R.T. before science? J. Law, Med. & Ethics, 26: 5-13 23. Sutovsky P., Flechon J.E. (1998) Cytoskeletal reorganization during cumulus expansion. In: Microscopy of Reproduction and Development. A Dynamic Approach.P. M. Motta, Ed., pp. 115-124.
22. Sutovsky P, Oko R, Hewitson L, and Schatten G. (1997) The removal of the sperm perinuclear theca and its association with the bovine oocyte surface during fertilization.Dev. Biol., 188: 75-84 21.Sutovsky P., and Schatten G. (1997)Depletion of glutathione during oocyte maturation reversibly blocks the decondensation of the male pronucleus and pronuclear apposition during fertilization. Biol. Reprod. 56:1503-1512 20. Sutovsky P., Tengowski M.W., Navara C.S.,Zoran S.S., and Schatten G., (1997) Mitochondrial sheath movement and detachment in mammalian, but not non-mammalian, sperm induced by disulfide bond reduction. Mol. Reprod. Dev.47: 79-86 19. Simerly CR, Hewitson LC, Sutovsky P, Navara CS, Schatten G (1997) Predicted forms of male infertility as a result of disorders in the paternally inherited human centrosome. Proc. IX World Congr. Hum. Reprod. 18. Simerly CR, Hewitson LC, Sutovsky P, Schatten G (1997) The inheritance, molecular dissection and reconstruction of the human centrosome during fertilization: consequences for infertility. In: Barrat C., de Jonge C., Mortimer D., Parinaud J. (eds), Genetics of human male fertility. EDK Press, Paris, p. 147-163
17. Simerly CR, Haawisto AJ, Hewitson LC, Sutovsky P, Navara CS, Schatten G (1996) The molecular dissection and reconstitution of the centrosome during human fertilization: Implications for infertility. S. Afr. J. Sci.92: 548-557 16. Motlik J., Sutovsky P., Kalous J., Kalab P., Kubelka M., and Schultz R. M. (1996) Co-culture with pig membrana granulosa cells modulates the activity of cdc2 and MAP kinase in maturing cattle oocytes. Zygote4: 247-256 15. Navara C.S., Hewitson L., Simerly C.R., Sutovsky P., and Schatten G. (1996) The implications of a paternally derived centrosome during human fertilization: Consequences for reproduction and the treatment of male factor infertility. Am. J. Reprod. Imun. 37: 39-49 14. Hewitson LC, Simerly CR, Sutovsky P, Navara CS, Tengowski MW, Schatten G. (1996) Advanced imaging of human fertilization. In: Visual atlas of sperm function for AR (Human).H. Sathannathan, Ed., 155-173 13. Sutovsky P., Hewitson L., Simerly C.R., Schatten G. (1996) Molecular medical approaches for alleviating infertility and understanding assisted reproductive technologies. Proc. As. Amer. Phys. , 108/6: 432-443 12.Sutovsky P, Hewitson LC, Simerly CR, Tengowski MW, Navara CS, Haavisto AJ, Schatten G. (1996) Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) for Rhesus monkey fertilization results in unusual chromatin, cytoskeletal, and membrane events, but eventually leads to pronuclear development and sperm aster assembly. Human Reprod. 11:1703-1712 11.Sutovsky P, Navara CS, Schatten G (1996). The fate of the sperm mitochondria and the incorporation, conversion and disassembly of the sperm tail structures during bovine fertilization in vitro. Biol. Reprod. 55: 1195-1205 10. Hewitson LC, Simerly CR, Tengowski MW, Sutovsky P, Navara CS, Haavisto AJ, Schatten G. (1996) Microtubule and DNA configurations during Rhesus intracytoplasmic sperm injection: successes and failures. Biol. Reprod. 55:271-280
1995 9., Sutovsky P, Flechon JE, Pavlok A (1995) F-actin is involved in control of bovine cumulus expansion. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 41: 521-529
1994 8., Sutovsky P, Motlik J (1994) Cumulus expansion in mammals: An interplay between cumulus granulosa cell cytoskeleton, extracellular matrix and oocyte secretion. ARTA J.6: 304-315 7., Sutovsky P, Flechon JE, Pavlok A (1994) Microfilaments, microtubules and intermediate filaments fulfil differential roles in gonadotropin induced expansion of bovine cumulus oophorus. Reprod. Nutr. Develop. 34: 415-425
1993 6., Nagyová E, Kalous J, Sutovsky P, Motlík J; (1993) Is cAMP decrease essential for resumption of meiosis in mouse oocytes? Reprod. Nutr. Develop.33: 419-428 5.; Sutovsky P, Fléchon J E, Fléchon B, Motlík J, Peynot N, Chesné P, Heyman Y,; (1993) Dynamic changes of gap junctions and cytoskeleton during in vitro culture of cattle oocyte cumulus complexes. Biol. Reprod.,49: 1277-1287 4.; Kanka J, Fléchon J E, Sutovsky P; (1993) Changes in RNA synthesis and poly(A) content of early rabbit and sheep embryos. Reprod. Nutr. Develop.33: 465-474 3.; Sutovsky P, Jelínková L, Antalíková L, Motlík J; (1993) Ultrastructural cytochemistry of the nucleus and nucleolus in growing rabbit oocytes. Biol. Cell 77: 173-180 2.; Kalous J, Sutovsky P, Rimkevicová Z, Shioya Y, Lie B L, Motlík J; (1993) Pig membrana granulosa cells prevent resumption of meiosis in cattle oocytes.Mol. Reprod. Dev. 34: 58-64
1., Procházka R, Kanka J, Sutovsky P, Fulka J, Motlík J; (1992) Development of pronuclei in pig oocytes activated by a single electric pulse.J. Reprod. Fert. 96: 725-734